Chiropractors have been helping those suffering from back and neck pain for decades, and in recent years studies have helped to showcase just how beneficial visiting a chiropractor really can be. Those in the Downtown Vancouver area who are in need of pain relief will likely want to consider paying a visit to a chiropractor like Doctor Stuart Kilian at Advantage Chiropractic for themselves to see firsthand what a difference this can make to their lives.
But what if you’re pregnant? The idea of lying down and allowing someone to adjust and manipulate your spine might seem like a terrible option when you’re carrying a child, but the reality is that all of the evidence shows that chiropractic care is actually very safe for pregnant mothers. In fact, organizations including the American Pregnancy Association agree that it’s perfectly fine to see a chiropractor when pregnant. In fact, chiropractic care can actually help make pregnancy less painful and more comfortable.
Still, it’s probably worth taking a closer look at the specifics just to provide the confidence you need to visit a chiropractor and continue getting the pain relief you need.
Chiropractic Care Basics
Essentially, chiropractic care is nothing but the proper maintenance health-wise of the spinal column. This includes nerves, discs, bones, and vertebrae within the spine as well as muscles around it.
Chiropractors focus on adjusting the spine so it is properly aligned in order to reduce pain. When a spinal curve exists or a vertebra is misaligned, patients may experience significant pain due to the vertebrae applying pressure to nerves. By aligning the spine properly, these stresses are reduced or eliminated.
Multiple visits to a chiropractor are usually required to properly adjust the spine, and may be needed to maintain proper spinal health as well.
Chiropractic Care And Pregnancy
Numerous studies have been done into chiropractic care and its impact on pregnant mothers, and there are no contraindications found to date that suggest it’s unsafe. In short, chiropractic care is a valid option for any pregnant mom. And during the rigorous education that chiropractors must undergo to become licensed, they are actually trained in the specifics of providing care to pregnant mothers.
Here are some things to consider regarding the subject that can help ease your mind.
- Many chiropractors actually take advanced steps towards helping with pregnancy wellness and even assisting with infertility care. This additional training can help them provide assistance to mothers during this phase of their life.
- There are chiropractic tables designed for women who are pregnant. Even in cases when tables of this nature aren’t present, chiropractors have undergone training that allows them to administer care without placing unneeded pressure on the abdomen.
- Since chiropractic care doesn’t rely on surgery or on the use of prescription drugs, pregnant mothers don’t place their children at risk in this way. The treatment is natural and safe for mother and child.
- Pregnancy itself can lead to added stress on the pelvic region, impact posture, and add to the curvature of the spine due to the added weight on a mother’s body. As a result, chiropractic care can help counteract these issues and promote better overall health and wellbeing for mom.
- A chiropractor will also be able to provide mothers with specific instructions on self-care. Things like posture guides, stretching exercises, and more will all help make a pregnancy less painful and more comfortable for the mother.
- Issues like a misaligned pelvis can actually put the baby at risk for not receiving enough development space, or can lead to breech birth situations. Chiropractic can help prevent this.
- Labor and delivery is a difficult process, but some studies have shown that chiropractic care during pregnancy can actually help improve the ease of labor and reduce the need for C-sections.
All in all, chiropractic care can be performed for those who are pregnant or expecting to become pregnant without worry. The evidence proves this fact, and also that not only is it safe, but beneficial.
A Breakdown Of The Benefits
Looking over the list above you should be able to easily see why chiropractic care is worth considering as a pregnant mother. However, a quick, concise listing of the benefits is still worth reviewing for anyone. Here’s a rundown of the primary reasons pregnancy care isn’t just okay – but recommended by many medical professionals for a pregnant mother.
- Can relieve morning sickness issues and control nausea
- Can help reduce back, neck, and joint pain created by pregnancy
- Can help reduce the duration of labor
- Could potentially reduce the severity of contraction pain
- Can improve overall health during pregnancy
- Helps reduce depression and improve mood
- Can combat headaches
Simply put, chiropractic care is something that pregnant women shouldn’t avoid but should instead consider seeking out. It delivers a wide range of benefits that can’t be ignored, and is one of the best options for prenatal care.
Is Seeing A Chiropractor While Pregnant The Right Decision For You?
As you can see from the various points above, chiropractic care is completely safe for pregnant women. In fact, it’s so safe that the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association – ICPA for short – actually recommends that women receive chiropractic care throughout their pregnancy due to the benefits it can have for mom and for baby.
Of course, no two women are identical and no two pregnancies are either. As such, it’s worth considering your own situation carefully. Talk to your primary care physician about chiropractic care and visit a chiropractor as well to see what they have to say. In doing so you should be able to review your current health plan and your overall lifestyle, and determine for yourself whether or not seeing a chiropractor is right for you.
The odds are that it will be, and by seeking this type of care you’ll likely improve your comfort level during pregnancy as well as improve the health and wellbeing of you as well as the child. Chiropractic has helped millions, and it can certainly help you and your child as well.